Friday, October 19, 2007

Love Thy Neighbor

I consider my neighbor to be a very good friend of mine. I can honestly say that without her, I would not be where I am today.

But to be perfectly honest-I am not a very good friend to her. I always have some kind of excuse. You know, there’s just so much going on. There’s just no time. Well, I have finally realized that, as long as I’m breathing, there’s going to be a lot going on! I have to get my priorities straight. Right now-they’re all jacked up!

My neighbor is going through something right now. I don’t know exactly what. It may not be as bad as I have imagined, it may be worse. The point is, something is wrong and I have no idea what it is or how to help. You would think that this being one of my closest friends, I would have put forth some effort to help. But no. I have kept my distance. I (vainly) thought for a while that I was what was wrong. Maybe I had offended without realizing. So, I stayed away. I convinced myself that I could only make matters worse.

I’ve gotten over myself. I have realized that I may be making matters worse by not following one of the most important commands- Love Thy Neighbor.


The fact of the matter is-this IS the person that followed God’s command. She reached out to her neighbor who was in desperate need of help, but would not admit it. She was diligent in doing God’s work. The phrase 'Hound of Heaven' comes to my mind. She did not give up or give in. Even when all attempts to reach out were rejected. She pressed on. Always doing what she knew was the right thing. It took two years. I would have given up on me long before then. But, finally, a breakthrough. We agreed to go to a hayride with her and her husband (who had been chasing after my husband). Our lives would never be the same.

It is because of her diligence, perseverance, and LOVE that I met Jesus.

I shudder to think what might have happened if she had given up on me.

I can't let her down.

I owe her my life.

Now, I will be like the Hound of Heaven.

I will not give up either.

SMC

No comments: